Your first visit...- Please arrive at your appointment with your paperwork completed (you can download it from our website - see the paperwork or forms link).
- You will provide us with your referral for physical therapy, if you have one.
- We will copy your insurance card.
- You will be seen for the initial evaluation by the therapist.
The therapist will discuss the following:- Your medical history.
- Your current problems/complaints.
- Pain intensity, what aggravates and eases the problem.
- How this is impacting your daily activities or your functional limitations.
- Your goals with physical therapy.
- Medications, tests, and procedures related to your health.
The therapist will then perform the objective evaluation which may include some of the following:
- Palpation - touching around the area of the pain/problem. This is done to check for the presence of tenderness, swelling, soft tissue integrity, tissue temperature, inflammation, etc.
- Range of Motion (ROM) - the therapist will move the joint(s) to check for the quality of movement and any restrictions.
- Muscle Testing - the therapist may check for strength and the quality of the muscle contraction. Pain and weakness may be noted. Often the muscle strength is graded. This is also part of a neurological screening.
- Neurological Screening - the therapist may check to see how the nerves are communicating with the muscles, sensing touch, pain, vibration, or temperature. Reflexes may be assessed as well.
- Special Tests - the therapist may perform special tests to confirm/rule out the presence of additional problems.
- Posture Assessment - the positions of joints relative to ideal and each other may be assessed.
"First, I think it's worth mentioning that my back issues, for which I was referred to your office, are far better thanks to Alejandra Peacock's help. But more importantly, I wanted to say that I found her to be not only very professional and approachable, but she was also able to give me instruction that helped me heal and learn new habits rather quickly and well. Perhaps most importantly, she was flexible and understanding about my schedule, and she thoughtfully responded whenever I had questions or concerns.
I enjoyed working with her and was very happy with the experience I had with your office. I hope I'll never need physical therapy again, but if I do I won't hesitate to think of you guys first.